Like many other technologies, the podcast promise has outweighed its productivity – until now.
That’s because a series of factors are now aligned to make branded business podcasts a prime marketing vehicle for small- and mid-sized brands that want to drive increased direct response and new qualified leads.
The key factors that have changed in 2017:
1) Simplicity & Audience Growth
Podcasts are the fastest growing new form of media. With podcast apps delivered on every phone, finding and subscribing to podcasts is simple and easy.
- 42 million Americans listen to podcasts weekly, representing 15 percent of the total US population.
- 15 percent of “Weekly Podcast Listeners” listen 10 hours or more; mean weekly listening time is 5 hours 7 minutes
- Year-over-year growth rates for podcast listening have been remarkably consistent, with 10 to 20% increases each year
- 41 percent of “Weekly Podcast Listeners” listen to more than 4 podcasts/week; 21 percent listen to more than 6 podcasts/week
- While podcast consumption has been substantially more common among Americans under the age of 25, now for the first time, a larger percentage of 25 to 54 year-olds listen to podcasts monthly than any other age group.
As The Atlantic writes: “That seamless integration of podcasts in people’s lives might be the key feature of what is otherwise a relatively low-tech medium that pretty much recycles the codes and craft of radio. Flexibility and chronicity—whenever and wherever you want, but you’ll hear from us again next week—allow podcasters to build a relationship with their audience, a relationship that is made of sensations, friendliness, and familiarity. “
Next: Measurement & Monetization